Our Blog

Protect Yourself from Carbon Monoxide

Similar to fire, carbon monoxide poses a deadly threat. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, invisible toxic gas that claims the lives of approximately 400 people per year, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Additionally, many more individuals experience sickness as a result of carbon monoxide exposure.

While carbon monoxide poisoning can occur due to malfunctioning home appliances and heating systems, poorly maintained chimneys can also be a source. The chimney and chimney connector serve as the exhaust system for furnaces. If debris is blocking the chimney, carbon monoxide can accumulate inside the house.

One of the most important rules for fall chimney maintenance is to install and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide detectors both inside and outside of bedrooms. It is crucial to replace the batteries in these detectors each season and regularly test their functionality. If a detector is more than 10 years old, it should be replaced to ensure continued effectiveness.

By taking these precautions, you can protect yourself and your loved ones from the dangers of carbon monoxide. Contact us for professional chimney maintenance services and any further assistance.